Tuesday 23 August 2011

Ashley mound of death


This peculiar 'mound' behind the graveyard of St John The Baptist's church in Ashley (in the north-west of Staffordshire) is something whose origin I had always put down to some form of building work in the past.

Well, I was right that there was some digging there, but... I found out that village historians believe it may well be the location of a mass grave of corpses dating back to the time of the Black Death in 1350.
The plague killed an astonishing FIFTY PER CENT of the population across Europe.

One day the mound and its inmates may be excavated; but, from now on, it will never be for me the innocent grassy knoll I once thought it to be.

1 comment:

  1. I like your title! Very creepy! And that is very interesting about that site.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again