Tuesday 24 April 2012

Elephant in bishop's wood


An elephant? In a Staffordshire wood?  Clearly the artist-carver who created this little surprise was quite happy with the concept.
Maybe it's not even an elephant. After all, it is missing its tusks and trunk... Not sure what it is!

But it pops up as quite a surprise to the person strolling through the wood!  At first, you rub your eyes, thinking it’s simply another piece of strangely shaped wood, and then you realise it’s deliberate. But there is no sign to indicate why it’s there…
As you walk on through the wood, there are even more of these wood-sculptures, which just sit there in the cover of the trees.

2 comments:

  1. I love this quirky sort of thing...the unexpected makes such a change from the humdrum flow of daily life. Are they anchored down to stop people trying to steal them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ask - are they anchored down? I wish I had thought to look; I guess I was just so surprised to see them that I didn't think of that.
      I suppose they might be pretty heavy though.

      Delete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again