Thursday 7 February 2013

Keele's prison... not


This church looked like a jail to me, the first time I saw it. Those imposing keep-like towers and the narrow windows gave me a chill. 
It's one of the major buildings overlooking the main square on the Keele University campus, and I wondered then what brave university-department could be housed there - dissection studies perhaps?

The fact that it turned out to be the university church bemused me.

Keele is a modern university, established just after the war, and the church is deliberately multi-denominational. So, maybe the intention of the look was deliberate - in that it could not be identified with any one Christian sect or tradition.
It's made of Staffordshire blue-brick.

Link: Keele Chapel Church

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again