Sunday 3 February 2013

Venice... in Staffordshire


The annual Venice carnival, which runs for the twelve days before the beginning of Lent, is now under way.
Sadly, the nearest I shall get to Venice this year is this superb painting of the city by the Victorian artist William Wyld. You can see it in the Nicholson Institute (aka Leek Library). It’s part of the collection there.

Though it’s over 100 years old, the picture has a wonderful vividness.

Links: Venetian Scene by William Wyld (on BBC Paintings)

2 comments:

  1. That's great. I'm new to your blog but we must live in the same area! I shall have to pop into the library when I am in town, I didn't know they had an art gallery, I've only ever been for books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the gallery has a small permanent collection, but also hosts exhibitions by local artists.

      I checked out your blog, Rambling Roachling, and, in a similar way to your reaction to this blog, was surprised that I'd not come across it. I will add it to my list of top Staffordshire blogs.

      Delete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again