Thursday 7 March 2013

Ex-electricals


This huge skip of discarded elecrical equipment completely astounded me.  I'd gone to the municipal tip to get rid of some stuff, including an aged microwave.

But the sight of an industrial skip full to overflowing of old electricals really brought it home to me how much ours is a throwaway society. (I'd tried to get the microwave fixed but the guy at the repair shop said it simply wasn't worth his or my bother.   Which presumably explains why this skip is so full.)
I couldn't believe that a local tip could 'fill' up so quickly.

However, I was told that it doesn't all go to landfill.  Apparently a lot of this stuff is sent abroad to be minced up into plastic pellets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again