Tuesday 23 April 2013

George & Dragon in trouble

Oh, the plight of the English pub!
On St George's Day today, I guess it's a good idea to reflect on the disappearance of so many of our pubs. An astonishing number of eighteen pubs a day are closing in this country.

I like pubs a lot, though I'll only have a pint or two on each visit; I won't stay all day.  And maybe it's people like me who are causing the demise; we just don't drink like we did in the old days. 
However, it's as well to remember that pubs have been diminishing in number since the 1870s, so it's not entirely a new phenomenon.

The George & Dragon at Rough Close has been closed for some years now, although a forlorn To Let sign is still erected on the roadside in the bid for some saviour to come along.

This post was featured on the City Daily Portal 'St George Day' theme

3 comments:

  1. First off, love the look of the image but sad that yet another pub is closed. Secondly, just had a look through your photos...terrific. I just down the road in Coventry...just became your latest follower. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments!

      I wasn't aware of a Coventry daily-photo site, so I shall be having a look at it....

      Delete
  2. I can appreciate your interpretation of the theme. We have many fine old buildings here that need attention. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again