Tuesday 18 October 2011

Offensive (?) poster

This is another photo from my archives, this time from 2009. 

The poster on this bus-shelter originally showed a naked woman, sunbathing, lying on her front, wearing only ... boots. It was for a shoe company.
I passed this spot a lot, and the poster must have been up for a year or so, I’d think.

It had always puzzled me as to why the advertising company put it there. The site is in Shelton, a well-known multi-ethnic area, and I was pretty sure it would offend Muslims who passed it on the way to the mosque.

Eventually, as you can see, the naked body was carefully (but anonymously) blacked out with paint. By the careful way in which it was done, I’d think it was an organised protest.

A fortnight later, it was replaced with another poster altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again