Tuesday 5 June 2012

Sir Thomas Guy's leopards

Sir Thomas Guy's coat of arms stare down at you in the entry way to the group of buildings in Tanmworth known as Guy's Almshouses.
Nothing odd there, as Sir Thomas piad for and endowed the site for the poor of the town in 1678.

What is odd is that when the caretaker kindly showed it to me, I recognised the design straightaway - as being the same on the shield that surmounts the gates into the famous Guy's Hospital in London.
(Who could forget these crowned leopards with their very very handsome sets of whiskers?!!)

I don't know why, but I hadn't made the connection before. That is: the Sir Thomas Guy who is such a big name in the history of Tamworth is the same Guy who founded one of London's old hospitals.
Ah.


Link: Guy's coat of arms at Guy's Hospital

3 comments:

  1. I know this crest very well having worked at Guy's hospital in my dim and distant past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting connection. I have not been to Guy's in many years, but I well remember visiting the medical museum there.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again