Friday 13 June 2014

Locking up heritage for the future

Lock-up at Gnosall

It is amazing the affection that the small villages of Staffordshire have for their heritage.

This little 'lock-up' (temporary gaol) at Gnosall is a good example.  It's not very old (1820s), and was originally sited elsewhere in the village, but was in the way of a road building programme.  So the village's Women's Institute raised funds to move it - brick by brick - to this new site not far from the church.

Now, I hope I appreciate heritage, but I think I would have just let it go.  Not the villagers of Gnosall though!  I guess they appreciated the sense of the past it gave them.

1 comment:

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again