Wednesday 22 August 2012

Images of Cartier Bresson

Henri Cartier Bresson took one of the most famous photos in modern photographic reportage - titled Juvisy France (1938). It shows four people, their backs to the camera, having a picnic on a river bank, and it can be seen at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. It's one of my favourite photos.

So, you can imagine how I felt seeing the scene above. It was like I was viewing an echo of the Juvisy image. I managed to get round the back of the people and got this shot.

Of course, when I got back home and checked, I realised the composition wasn't as much like that of the original (pictured right) as I'd thought, which was a disappointment... 
But the wonder is how certain striking images never leave us. I hadn't come across the original Cartier Bresson image in ten years probably - and yet, there it was, embedded in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again