Sunday 5 May 2013

Time's death-struggle


In this tombstone carving you see a winged figure (Time) hovering over a corpse/skeleton, and both appear to be clasping an arrow. It's clearly a struggle of some sort.
Fellow blogger Beneath Thy Feet explained the significance of it to me as Time arrriving to claim his due at the moment of the person's death.  The arrow I guess represents the inevitable trajectory of existence - towards death.
The superscript motto reads: Time and Death shal be no more

So far I've found two of these type of carvings in Staffordshire: one in Audley churchyard, and this one, which is in Horton churchyard.

Taking a photo from the left side of the same carving more clearly shows the woman praying (she who is to become the skeleton I suppose), an hourglass, and, erm... three shapes whose significance I don't know!  If you know what these three shapes represent, I'd be very happy to hear...



This post was featured on the Cemetery Sunday website
   

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the explanation and the closeup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, They do look very coffin like. Could it be that three of her family passed before her? Interesting post and fantastic pictures.

    Thank you for linking up with Cemetery Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intersting explantion , I'm learning

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm catching up now after weeks ... but wanted to say that this is interesting, and I like your photos. Definitely a nice find!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again