Tuesday 10 January 2012

Saint Chad portrait


St Chad is the most important saint associated with Staffordshire. Basing himself here at Lichfield, it is reputed that he converted the Anglo-Saxon Midlands to Christianity.


But, he originally came from the north-east of England… and it was there that I found this modern portrait of him.
I rather like its strange, disjointed panels, and primitive approach. I guess the artist (whose name I couldn’t find out) was trying to evoke a stained-glass piece.

It was part of an exhibition in the so-called ‘art-church’, St Edmund’s Chapel in Gateshead. This small town-centre church is used by artists to display their work, though it does have services of course.

2 comments:

  1. I like that modern look too! The different blocks definitely accrue more interest than a uniform portrait would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like my art to look like art so I like this. Tracy Emin is just a case of the Emporers New Clothes. Here in Leeds we have a large Victorian church St Chads, not yet seen inside every time I am there it is closed.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again