Wednesday 4 January 2012

Gravestone warning

The verses one can see on old, rural gravestones are generally amateur efforts – from the mason himself, sometimes – but, even though they don’t count as ‘great poetry’, they can get you with their simple, but profound lines.

This stone for an 18 year-old, in Brewood churchyard, reads:
Time was I stood and viewed the dead,
And look’d at them as thou do’est me;
In time, thou' l lie as low as I;
And others stand and look at thee.


Hmm.  Made me think.

2 comments:

  1. It's always interesting wandering through a cemetery and reading the gravestones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always call into any churchyard that I should pass if I have a little time to stop and look. There is so much social history written in these old slabs of stone.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again