Monday 30 January 2012

Moat in the landscape

Unexpected features in the landscape often have an explanation – they’re not always just lumps caused by land shifting over time (as I once thought).

This platform in the land near Hilderstone turns out to be the remains of the foundations of a medieval manor house. The steep dip is due to the moat that was constructed around it.

It’s amazing to me that such an ancient formation in the land has survived so long – and it puts a different aspect on the landscape when one is walking past it.

1 comment:

  1. What a great find- I never would have thought of that- will make me think even more on my own walks- good photo.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again