Monday 9 January 2012

Tamworth flowers

Tamworth is a prettier town than most people think – well, around the old town anyway. I really like the fact that the council maintains the flower-beds around the castle, even now, as you can see, in deep mid-winter. It's amazing to see such a colourful display in January.

Trouble is, there was some really ugly new-build put up alongside the heritage parts of the town. St Editha’s Square is a good example of the mess you get when you mix, without thinking, some very ugly new shops alongside venerable heritage.

4 comments:

  1. Goodness there must be thousands of pansy plants there - clearly enjoying the mild winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great angle on this! And I do love the color! - I am sorry that people have not been as thoughtful in their building. I hoped that y'all had some sort of rules about that. In Mountain Brook, there are several commercial sections, one is called "English Village" and no one is allowed to build anything there that does not meet the standards of the other buildings. They have chosen a Tudor style of building and everything looks so cozy and village-y.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive flowers for a January day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you thought it unusual: I was surprised myself to see so many flowers in january, but thought it was just my ignorance of Nature! Yes, I guess it must be the mild weather.

    Rachel, you're right about planning laws in Britain - they are tough. But, a deal of discretion is left to local councils in 'commercial areas' such as town centres; and some councils just rushed headlong to development, especially in the latter part of the last century. Shame. That's how it goes.
    I guess, one day, those ugly buildings will be replaced. I hope.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again