Monday 18 July 2011

Anglers vs Boaters



On the canal towpath at Acton Trussell, I came across this sign, which made me laugh out loud. I'm guessing, but I think it's part of the endless battle on canals between anglers and the holiday-makers who hire out narrowboats.
I would suppose that some people out fishing on this stretch think that boats which are going too fast, and throwing up a swell, deserve to have bait thrown at them in protest...!
I just wish I'd been there.

The speed limit on canals is four miles an hour, I believe.

2 comments:

  1. 4 mph does not sound fast enough to kick up ANY swell!

    For the uninitiated: what is A.A. in this context? And what do they mean by groundbait? This is not a complex word for worms, surely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! The groundbait that I have come across is usually pellets composed of bread/maize, stuff like that, used to attract fish. Don't think it means worms...

    I think I misled you on the speed limit comment. What happens is that some of the narrow-boaters exceed the speed limit, and thus cause a swell, making the anglers angry. It's known by some wits as 'canal rage'...!

    As for AA, I'd guess that means 'anglers association'. Not sure.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again