Wednesday 23 November 2011

Comic kissing gate

You can’t help but laugh on seeing this little kissing-gate. It is all alone in the field – no fence either side of it – yet, strangely, the sign on it encourages ramblers to pass through it..

It reminds me of the very funny scene in the spoof cowboy film Blazing Saddles, where the good guys erect a toll-gate in the middle of the desert plain – the cunning plan being to slow down the bad guys who are galloping towards them…
Sure enough, the bad guys (who are stupid, thus proving they are bad) queue up at this toll-gate in the middle of nowhere, additionally swearing and cussing when they realise they have to use ‘correct change’. 
The scene is surreal, very funny, and – now I see – imitates real life!

2 comments:

  1. I always like to use kissing gates, I guess it is just the name that does it for me. Here in my little bit of Yorkshire we have quite a few, I think the nearest to me is a quite antique metal one perhaps a mile distant (assuming the metal thieves have not stolen it, like the 28 mostly Victorian iron cellar grates stolen a while back in the village where I live a few month back. My friend lost 2 and she was furious, not because they were old but because of the money to replace them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul. Yes we have many kissing gates here, but I must admit I've never seen an antique metal one here. I really admire Staffordshire County's footpath officers; they really seem to make an effort to keep the pathways in order.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. If you choose to comment using a non-Google account - write the comment, click Publish, click the captcha, and click Publish again